- 1st Grade (highest quality)
- Genuine Arkansas Novaculite!
- Size: 200 (L) mm x 50 (W) mm x 12 (H) mm
- (8 x 2 x 1/2 inches)
- Comes with wooden storage box
- Stone Type: Arkansas (Novaculite)
- From: Ouachita Mountains USA
- Stone Type: Natural
- Grit: Natural stones do not have standard number grit ratings (this stone is listed as ‘extra fine’).
- Use with water throughout the sharpening process (when finished, dry completely before storing).
- Honing oil can be used instead (Oil Stone).
This novaculite sharpening stone is used as the last stage of sharpening your knife or tool to help bring on a more refined / polished edge. This stone is also called ‘surgical black’ (for its past use in the medical and dental community to sharpen instruments). Due to its density this stone can be a slower cutter than synthetic whetstones. Best used only once a sharp edge has been produced by the courser stones / grits.
The extra fine black can be used not only as the final stage of sharpening after the medium / soft and hard / fine novaculite stones, but can also be used in a progression with other stones (natural / synthetic). Could also be used after the coticule.